Friday, January 28, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Exams. I LOVE exams.

Why?

Well it is well known that I am indeed a masochist. I go the mall on December 24th, I insist on wearing heels to work, I believe that Indian dining isn’t worth it unless I’m sweating and I willingly submit myself to Tolkien. Over and over and over again.

However, I’m not sure that that is why I love exams.

Ever since my student days I have positively cherished exam time. My most distinct memories of university are of walking across campus (UWaterloo and U of T both) on the way to an exam, enjoying the quiet, contemplating what was to come, the sense of accomplishment soon to be felt, the anticipation of yet another new beginning.

I love that moment when you receive an exam, not knowing whether you’ll have the answers, yet at the same time knowing that nothing stands in your way.

Not only do I love exam time, I love writing exams. Testing myself, pushing myself. Furthermore, I’m good at them.

Other than the learning process itself, writing exams is what I miss most about university. Even more than writing papers (and heaven knows I LOVE writing papers!).

My students think I’m being facetious when I post happy messages on the board before tests and exams. Little do they know that I’m fully, 100% sincere.



Other reasons why exams are awesome:

On days when I have exams, I only have to work until noon.
On days when I don’t have exams, I don’t have to work.
I can drink coffee whenever I want.
I can stay up past 9:30 pm.
Exams signal either the half-way point or the ending point of a school year.
I can wear jeans to work everyday of the week.
Elementary school teachers don’t get exam time off.

2 comments:

--b said...

"elementary teachers don't get time off"

... crap

Jacquie S said...

EXAM time off.

Elementary teachers don't get EXAM time off.

I mean, you'll still get Easter and Christmas and March Break and whatnot. And weekends, can't forget about those.